21 Apr Niche – Africa and other emerging markets update
The Mining Indaba has come and gone for another year. H&H hosted an event with Trinity International this year focusing on bringing together Africa-focussed commercial lenders and development finance institutions with Australian mining companies. The event was a success with nearly 100 attendees at our Meet ‘n Greet. Much of the attention was on infrastructure and we hope the event will become a traditional part of the conference as a sub-forum for mining and infrastructure players to meet and share opportunities.
We’re pleased to report that Conrad Marais has been recognised in 2013 Chambers Global as a Notable Practitioner for his work in Africa.
- Southern Africa: project development advice in relation to a CBM project;
- Ghana: advising the project company in relation to a large solar IPP in Ghana;
- Tanzania: project financing of a $500m power, ethanol and sugar project
- West Africa: project development issues in respect of a bulk commodity mine;
- Nigeria: shareholder arrangements and project development of a mining project;
- South Africa: development of the 65MW Hopefield Wind Farm;
- South Africa: development of 75MW solar PV plant;
- Kenya: advising lenders on the US$310m refinancing of the Olkaria III geothermal facility
- Namibia: advising three major development banks on their private sector loans
- West Africa: advised a major African bank on the closing of the financing for the refurbishment of a major West African airport;
- East Africa: advised a private equity fund on its second-rounding funding of an East African agriculture business;
- Nigeria: advising a major African bank on the acquisition of a Nigerian petroleum industry services company;
- Kenya: advising potential equity investors into a wind farm in Kenya;
- West Africa: advising a private equity fund on its acquisition of a West African healthcare business;
- West Africa: advising an investor on the acquisition of shares in a West African mining business;
- Sierra Leone: advising a major African bank on a mining-related financing in Sierra Leone;
- Uganda: advising the Government of Uganda and the utility in Uganda, UETCL, in relation to the development of standard form power purchase agreement and implementation agreement which can be applied to smaller hydro-power projects in the country.